Monday, January 23, 2006

possible dissertation topics

I've come up with 2 possible topics for my dissertation:

1) Libraries as 'reading and writing spaces in stone': the evolution of library buildings and locations
2) An examination of library services in Singapore

My lecturer is keen on me writing the second topic. 'You know you want to,' she says, 'you're just resisting it.'

I think the first one would be interesting as it would cover concepts of space, digitization in libraries, shopping mall libraries, and architecture. The second one would be closer to my heart as it is about home and more sociologial in nature. I would write about how the government has successfully implemented its information policy and invested in libraries to harness human capital, and how libraries are well-loved by Singaporeans and in many instances have become more than just a library: they are also meeting points, cafes, performance spaces, etc.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ivan Chew said...

I'd go for the second topic. The first one is maybe fun to write and useful as a reflective kind of research topic. But the second one (which is tougher of course) will be closer to the aims of practical research that I think your course encourages. Just my view anyway.

5:01 pm  
Blogger Peishan said...

ivan: thanks for ur feedback. im actually likely to do the second as well. working on my essay plan next week.

notchy: yesssss.

4:20 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home